The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

iamtylerharlow
This post was updated on .
This post will be a central hub for the community to voice their opinions about staff and admins. As i write this, the particular people in question are Circleight and myself.

There are two sides, as in any argument, in this one. I say, that the role of a staff is to help as much as possible. Cuboids, rates, advice, grief reports, in my opinion are absolutely essential. These things keep our builder community happy, they keep server order, and they keep people moving up through the ranks without complaints.

The other side is that cuboids and rates are highly over used, and unnecessary. Because of this, the high ranks that believe this help extremely little, or not at all.

Another point to go unnoticed is that staff build too. Circle climbed the ranks for Paradigm, and because Pwego took quite a liking to them and there is no preventing promotions like that. So Circle (other admins build too i point circle out because she is the best example) is probably our best builder, she has a right to use her skills. But signing on and almost completely ignoring chat is not acceptable in my opinion. Furthermore, i make all these statements based upon my individual knowledge. Circle refused to let me know what her timezone was so i don't even know if we would be on at the same time and according to her her schedule is always changing. I do see her on occasionally and what i hear and see about her isn't good.

I partly blame this on my own sporadic Architect promotions. However, all of these people had been on the architect list for quite a while and i, along with Dosy and _no_life were the ones who took action. In addition, we only have 3 staff that come on. One of which hardly comes on, the second of which has an awful computer and typically can't even get on the server, and the third is often on but is addicted to no chat. The reason for the staff shortage is for 3 staff and one potential staff being promoted to admin. RockGeek being the first, myself the second, no life the third, and hypuhrr the most recent. Im not saying that these people don't deserve their rank, what I'm saying is that it opens a hole in the staff group that needs to be filled by good, active, and helpful people.

Well, that was my dogma. Leave your response here. No direct insults should be made, just a dignified and mature discussion.
tyler admin
"you laugh at me because i am different, i laugh at you because you are all the same"
"Everyone has a picture of what they want their life to be, some just don't have film."

CoB Admin
Redstone master!
Mag
Pandora
community project dude

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

EviiL
Tyler on the part about circle, personally what u said about ignoring chat is wrong, yesterday for example i spent an entire hour talking to her along with the rest of the people online. Yes she may not help out with cuboids as much as YOU may prefer but cuboids should be a special thing, given to those who truly deserve it and have proven themselves. You asked for her time region, she refused to give it to you. using this in this context is useless, what she did was she kept her PERSONAL details to herself which over the internet is a smart thing to do. So what if her timetable changes, she may want to go out, her friends may call at any time, her mum or dad may need her so she cant come online.

On the part about staff, i thought this had stopped like seriously we had months of arguments over the staff and i personally don't want it to start again. U mentioned 3 staff come online however u didn't mention who. Staff whom i see regularly when i am online are, You , Circle, Hyp, Rock, Lakers. now i know i mentioned 4 admins there but they are classed as staff in my eyes. Many staff have moved on from the server because they are getting older, school has started again and they are busy.

On the subject of arch, as far as i know from what i have been told by pwego, there is no "list" for arch, it is given to those who deserve it when they have proven themselves to be suitable for the rank. I understand what you say when u mentioned there is a gap for new staff due to the new admins who have emerged in the past month or 2. Im not going to propose anyone to fill the slots, that is not my place, im not a high enough rank to be noticed in suggestions anyway that is up to the staff and admins.

Well this is my 2 cents about the whole situation that occurred.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that during this entire argument circle decided to agree with tyler with shes not a good staff and told him to demote her to make tyler happy. Tyler then claimed it would be an abuse of power, contradicting his entire argument that circle doesnt deserve staff and isnt fit to be staff.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

I've always said, promotions for staff+ are only put if the user assumes responsibility and accepts the job.

That's 1 thing, now what is a staff's job exactly?
- Rate? Not necessarily. In my opinion we should rework the rating system. Constructions should require more than just 1 rate. Rates shouldn't need to have the builder AND rater on at the same time. There also needs to be verification so builds don't get stolen.

- Grief protection? In my opinion only awesome buildings should be protected. We have a plugin to detect grief and roll them back (when it works). This again, only requires staff when grief happens. At the moment we use HawkEye, look it up for the commands.

- Chat talk? This is important, I know when building most people tend to not read it. Even Pwego does that. But remember this is what everyone see wherever they are on the map. New players see it. If they don't like what they read and nobody does anything about it they might leave and never come back. The censor plugin I made was created to counter some of this. I know lots of people don't like some of our choices regarding the list censored but it's for the best.

- Forum? There isn't many staff administering on the forum, so keep that in mind.

- Website news? When possible, staff should do a post or ask another person with access to post the message they want to say.

- Plugins? It's not the staff jobs to add new plugins. This is a group consensus of all staff/admin. I do not really like the addition of a recent plugin that makes peopel look like mobs. Our current resources don't allow the addition of many plugins. When I want to add a plugin, I test it locally ALONG WITH EVERY CURRENT PLUGINS to see that everything is compatible. I very doupt that step was done with the monsterdisguise plugin. I might not always be on skype, but you can always reach me by email to zachbora.pwegoserver@gmail.com

- Cuboids? This is a big point... I remember back when I was still low rank. I had to dig the DwarfCity by hand. I managed to get a couple people and we dag 3 levels of blocks in 1 week (? I think). Then when I got cuboid powers, it took merely seconds. I know how it feels to not have this power. I've built tons of things without cuboid (see my youtube videos). Clearing an area to build on does take time by hand and is short with cuboid, but with about 30 people on at the same time, we cannot procure this as much as we'd like to. You also need to understand that most people (>50%) do not fill their cuboid area once aquired. At most they use 40% of it and probably 50% of them never finish their building. I've seen some pretty big empty areas of which only a few places were built on. The owner of that location kept asking for his area to be increased. Well that person stopped playing, and someone else started building there.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

sycoinc
ZachBora wrote
I've always said, promotions for staff+ are only put if the user assumes responsibility and accepts the job.

That's 1 thing, now what is a staff's job exactly?
- Rate? Not necessarily. In my opinion we should rework the rating system. Constructions should require more than just 1 rate. Rates shouldn't need to have the builder AND rater on at the same time. There also needs to be verification so builds don't get stolen.
This could be resolved with the site i a building or more organisation in these forums  / a new forum that can have a projects to rate system and a rating system.... this would be the 1st step then the next would be to prove they own the project and get it rated a 2nd time in game.

My view on staff is they should try and be helpful and nice to the community and do what they can for them when they can. BUT that should not mean it takes out of their minecraft experience on the server. I know Nova left the server / doesn't play anymore because of the amount of people 'wanting' things and leaving her no time to play.

There just needs to be guidelines for the staff and the builders of the server that meet the needs for both parties... Personally i think a rank or select people who want to be and who are on often  (and that are trusted) should be given powers to help whenever they are on so there is someone who aims to help people not play and help and admin the server...

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Littleredcow
<quote author="ZachBora">
I've always said, promotions for staff+ are only put if the user assumes responsibility and accepts the job.

That's 1 thing, now what is a staff's job exactly?
- Rate? Not necessarily. In my opinion we should rework the rating system. Constructions should require more than just 1 rate. Rates shouldn't need to have the builder AND rater on at the same time. There also needs to be verification so builds don't get stolen."

So, I had mentioned to hyp possibly bringing back the "Ranker" But give him a different job.  As opposed to promoting him self you could simply get Hawk eye permissions,  so he could verify the builder claiming to have build it is actually the one who built it, and then the Ranker could leave a rate, and if he believes it his promotion worthy he could recommend the builder to a staff/admin for them to have the final decision.

I'm not sure if this would be logical to put in since staff can do the same thing.  But that's just to get another opinion on the build instead of having just a single staff look at it and decide it is/isn't worth the promotion.
[Staff]

"Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Harold R. McAlindon

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

There needs to be a plugin that after a set amount of 'rates' on a build auto ranks up the user to a specific rank on the total rating... say after 5 staff / admin / people who can rate rate a building 80/100 then the person ranks up to vip2 or something.

would work sort of like the plugin that can leave comments on a plot of land that would be good

Zach.. MAKE IT LOL

-Harold R. McAlindon

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

I'll administrate the forums if need be.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

I have to go against you on this one Tyler. Now in my opinion the role of staff should be to help the server run smoothly by answering questions, responding to ALL grief alerts, and controlling chat. Ratings, cuboids, and protections are just privileges that the vip3- get and these are commonly abused. When I first became admin I rated basically nonstop for about 2 months and maybe was able to build for a day at most a week. Then I realized that people were abusing our system and as a result, I simply stopped rating. VIP has no meaning anymore and it is simply just a rank that the greedy builders all want to achieve. They abuse us to get it and strip us of our free time to build. Minecraft is not worth it if they abuse us and take our time away.

Regarding Circle, She is one of our best builders on the server and I truly appreciate her. Maybe you have not seen her do it, but I have seen her respond to many grief alerts and control chat when needed. THese two things are the MOST important things out of all the things we as a staff can do. I agree with her policy of refusing to give cuboids and ratings. Cuboids ruin the land and usually result in boring builds that become griefed within days if not weeks. Our rating system just do not work anymore with the large server population we have obtained.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

sycoinc
Lakersreloaded wrote
...all of lakers quote..
There should just be Builder, ( another rank ), Architect, Staff and Admin rank....

Where;
- 90% of people have builder rank
- he  (another rank) should be trusted / exceptional builders but cant be earned by ratings but trust and obtained from architects and higher and have some general abilities like kick or somehting like that
- Architects should be exceptional builders + have abilities to help the community when needed and monitor the server
- Staff and Admin as they are

that's what i think BUT lets not turn this into a rank post.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Zach and I have discussed this in skype.  It is the simple idea of a rating system, either with a command and/or signs.  For example.  /recommend [player] [rank] and it notifies a staff of a person being recommended, with a command to teleport to the building.  (Of course it would only send to the staff+ if it gets enough recommends.)  This takes out the constant nagging in my opinion, but could also be misused.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Schneids47
Alright so that this isn't a rank thread (again), I'll quickly say I agree with you getting rid of all "VIP ranks", and just making it builder, another rank, arch, staff, etc.  I think that this new Rank should have all the stuff VIP3- have plus kick, (MAYBE sun control), and creative mode.  But before you can get this rank you have to go through a rank called "helper" or something of the such, where you have TP, TPhere, fly and maybe creative, where you have to help builders in order to get promod to "new rank".  I would go on, but I don't want this to be a rank rant thread.

As for what Tyler said, I'm going to have to say I disagree with most of what was said.  I think that while yes cuboids, rates, advice etc from Arch + is limited, I say that this is good.  VIPs can easily give rates advice etc, without having to bother any staff about it.  Also, the staff are where they are, mainly because they worked through the ranks because of their building skills. They should be allowed to continue building with their amazing skillzez, and not have to bother helping the meaningless questions from builders that most likely could be answered in the welcome center, or by VIPs.  While I'm not saying that staff should start doing their job of controlling chat grief alerts etc, I'm saying that the VIPs should start helping a LOT more with easy things such as ratings.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Greytopher
I feel like for what lakers said about the VIP's being greedy is that we have MADE them a greedy person only for upgrading in the ranks. We have put the idea into their mind of to build like crazy to get a rank, and they constantly NEED a rating in order for their greedieness to be handled. That was a prue-made problem unknowingly made by ourselves and we can't seem to control the players into thinking to build for fun, not for ranks.

As for staff and admin usage goes, its completely underused, in my opinion. I'm not 100% sure on this topic, but as far as staff and admins being on, it doesn't seem to be that their are that many on at all. Circle is a great staff from what I hear, and she controlls the server as best as she can make it, and she should be looked at for the standard for a staff member. A member who constantly helps the players, responds to grief alerts, and makes sure that most of the time people are building and just having fun. That is what Minecraft is all about.
[Architect]
MSS member

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Schneids, the rank in-between builder and arch would not, repeat NOT get kick nor time control.  Too many abusers.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

iamtylerharlow
@lakers

i was always under the impression that anyone was allowed cuboid. Furthermore you are right, the server has become overrun by empty flat land. The only argument i pose is that giving people land keeps complaints down and keeps order within the server. Sure the map may be monotonous at times but it isn't as bad as you made it sound.

A maybe rash solution to this would be to fly around a bit and place signs and such and make a forum topic stating if flat land needs more builds or better builds. Otherwise it could be rolled back with hawk eye or terraformed if the request is not met. This would take some hard work but our map would be breathtaking.
tyler admin
"you laugh at me because i am different, i laugh at you because you are all the same"
"Everyone has a picture of what they want their life to be, some just don't have film."

CoB Admin
Redstone master!
Mag
Pandora
community project dude

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

Schneids47
@Hyp

I'm saying that the privilege of Kick and time control would only be handed to the select few that make this rank.  The people would have to be amazing builders (Legit VIP2+) that are proved to be useful for the server in terms of good buildings.  It would only include people that passed the test of helper rank, proving that they are good in nature, but also willing to not abuse their powers.  I'm only saying this, because I have been on multiple times when no Arch + was on to handle the situation when a spammer/griefer came on and started causing a ruckus.  While Time control is not necessary, I think that more people having kick is, to keep order up.

Also, if someone abuses kick or they would just be demoted, and have to prove them selves worthy again.  Abuse it again, and ban/demotion to builder.

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

nic1010
Idk maybe some new staff are needed? 3 go on... Circle Ian and coolman, ther are more active admins than staff. Or maybe a new rank... Idk staff are good band more are needed once again

Re: The role of a staff and admins and server opinions

OI, Schneids, the bit about spamming/griefing.  You can do your part, you suspect griefing, tp him away, report him, screenshot.  Spamming, we have an anti spam plugin, so this is not an issue.