How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

Iandrum
This post was updated on .
Hey everyone, I decided to write a guide about something very important that is often overlooked on Pwegoserver. Many people look up to higher ranks often due to their building skills, but what many people fail to realize is that while building skills are nessasary for ranking up (with the exception of a donation, although they can only get you so far (Thanks Apple!)), there are other ways to be a valuable member of pwegoserver, sometimes even leading to a rank up.

I will divide this guide into 3 sections. Advice for guests, advice for builders, and advice for Vip+. I will post a summary of each section at the very bottom, as it will be a bit of reading.

ADVICE FOR GUESTS:
Guests, from the moment you log onto pwegoserver, you may be overwhelmed by how much amazing stuff has been built in spawn alone. We love to have more players join our server, and we particularly love new members who prove they will be an asset to the server. These people are the ones who read the rules before asking anything, as well as talk and participate in our community, but also aren't overly obnoxious (there are many others who do this as well, even higher ranks). In short: Just read the rules, and feel free to ask about anything that may be unclear. We are glad to help if you do not abuse us.

Also, please have patience. You are very, very lucky to get accepted as a builder in less than a week. Take the time to go on a journey to see the server. Walking only. It will give you ideas on what materials look good together, and show you different building styles. Enjoy your time as guest, just don't get frustrated.

ADVICE FOR BUILDERS:
So you are a builder, you may be wondering what you can do to help the server now. There are many things you can do to be a valuable member of pwegoserver, and believe it or not, you do not have to be a high rank to be valuable. Everyone starts somewhere, even our greatest builders were once mag or ice, but the important thing to realize is that you have multiple paths you can take in the server community. Do you help others, build without complaint, and participate in community conversation and activities, or do you choose to build, constantly ask staff to rank you up, and curse and talk in caps? Everyone can be great, or the worst person on the server, it's up to choice.

Whenever I play on the server, I often hear people say they are not helpful to the server, and sometimes hear people say they will never be good enough for the server. most times (if not all times) I hear this, it is directly related to ranking up. People have grown dependant on rankings. Rankings are a nice reward for doing what you should always be doing when you play minecraft multiplayer, Building, having fun, and helping others. I cannot stress this enough to people. Never build for ranks, build to enjoy the game you spent your hard earned (or your parents) money on. Ranks should be viewed as a reward for doing what you should be doing, not as a way to show you are better than everyone. Contain your egos. I promise you it will be worth it in the long run.

Another thing to think about is helping others. This can be by helping someone build, helping a guest find a certain popular building, rating, or mentoring. This is an important thing in the server, and the staff members cannot do it all by theirselves. Builders can be helpful in more ways than they believe. Help a guest by directing them to noobbuild, and giving them some basic supplies, remember that a guest could become our next architect with time. Always be the one who people can rely on for help, but express to others when you are burnt out on helping and want to build.

ADVICE FOR VIP+:
Once you become vip, you have several more tools to help you in being a good member of our community. At vip1, naturally, you can fly, and tp to people. This allows you to aid in anti-griefing, or fixing griefs. While a staff member should check with big brother, you can assist in clearing any water that may be flooding the area, or replace any holes on the roof. This is very benificial.

At vip2, you can tp people to other people, and set time. A very valuable skill, as people often need to get to another player, but lack the ability to tp themselves. Helping them out often only takes 5 seconds, and can really help someone out. MAke sure that both sides are ok with the tp though. You can also set time, thus making it day so that building is easier. Realize however, that we like to see night sometimes, learn to work with torches or glowstone.

Vip3s don't get much that is useful for assisting others. Just realize that you can still use every tool up to this point to help others out.

Architects can be very helpful. With cuboiding powers, you can assist people in creating some land to build something. I personally don't create land for someone unless they have a great project started and need more land to continue, as should be the terms of anyone performing cuboids. With the addition of paying for cuboids, it is acceptable to perform a cuboid if someone pays you. Just make sure the area being cuboided is reasonable, and to charge them the appropriate amount (30,000 per 30x30 area). Architects can also kick, but just realize you need not use it everytime a problem arises. Give a warning first, then if it persists, kick as needed. NEVER kick without writing a reason.

A few more notes that I have been reminded of. Never abuse the tp command by tping to others (rule 16) without permission (Thanks Gruitar and Apple). Also, never tp someone to you without permission. Architects, part of being responsible with kicks is also not kicking yourself. This is obnoxious, and causes more spam in chat that adds on to staff frustration (Thanks Apple).

As you can see there are many ways for you to be a positive, benificial member of the pwegoserver. It all comes down to your attitude, and your willingness to help out. You don't need a different colored name to be a good member of the server, just show people that you are someone they can trust. Ranks mean nothing if the person who has them is a jerk, and someone who we don't want on the server. Be different from the average pwegoserverian, be awesome.

List of points:
Guest Advice:
-Read and follow rules
-Participate in community discussion, and building
-Be patient

Builder Advice:
-Choose to be a benificial member
-Do not worry about ranks, they will come with time
-Always help when you can

Vip+ Advice:
-Use your new powers to help others
-Continue to work to be that awesome member of the server
-Architects: be fair with kicking

Have a great day, and I hope some of you will read this guide and use it to be a better member of the server. Playing a multiplayer server doesn't have to be ALL about building after all.

(Possible additions as more ideas and advice arise)
Iandrum
Staff

Re: How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

EviiL
Now to me most of what you have said is natural to me because of my 7 months of experience on the server. For first timers and new builders this guide basically tells them to do stuff they thought wouldn't be necessary like reading the rules, and then tells them the result of when they do. Good job Ian hopefully this will reduce the amount of people who just dont follow the rules and make the server a much nice place

1000 internets for U

Re: How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

gruitar
Great guide! I'd add on by saying that:

When you gain the ability to tp, DO NOT TP TO OTHERS WITHOUT ASKING FIRST. This is important because of two reasons. One, the person may be in a secret project location (theirs or someone else's). Two, it is just polite manners to ask. Also, even if they give permission once, it does not mean you have free tp'ing power to them for eternity. Their mood about you can change as well as their location, so ask nicely. Also, if someone rejects you, that means that they don't want you there. So you have to deal with it.

It might be better in rules, but following this can help you in the server. Also, try to tell others this too, so that they don't tp without permission later. Sorry if this doesn't belong.
One of the people who went on to the second world...Life

Re: How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

Iandrum
Oh no gruitar, you are fine. That is a very important detail to mention. Even though it is on the rules list, many people seem to "overlook" that rule. It's always good to have a reminder.
Iandrum
Staff

Re: How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

Apple
Pretty good guide But
Iandrum wrote
while building skills are nessasary for ranking up (with the exception of a donation),
Donation can only get you so far..

Iandrum wrote
At vip2, you can tp people to other people
Although Don't abuse this

Iandrum wrote
 Architects can also kick, but just realize you need not use it everytime a problem arises.
And don't kick yourself it spams chat
Me.

Re: How to be a valuable member of the server (even without amazing building skills)

Iandrum
Updated guide to incorporate the additional things I missed. Also credited you both for reminding me of them. Thanks!
Iandrum
Staff