A Few Forum Suggestions

Thelilhoser
Hey, guys. I've moderated a few forums for a while, and admin my own forum, and believe me, a forum will get extremely messy and disorganized when it's not taken well care of. First off, if the forum has a few willing, know what their doing, trust-able, kind, people who want to moderate, that would help out a ton!  All they really need to do is keep threads and topics clean without spam and delete a few posts a day and a forum can keep fairly organized, assuming they would stay active. Secondly, and probably the most important, is making threads for various topics. Some examples of threads for your forum would be "Building projects, tours/videos, general discussions(where you can rant on about anything you want), Announcements (not really needed considering you just say that stuff on the front page), Introductions (where you can introduce yourself to the server, which will give people friends and it will be a lot of fun), and maybe a suggestions box or something. Because right now, it's just a bunch of random topics and they will become squished into 1000 pages and you won't be able to find anything. I understand you just made it, but you need to be dedicated if you don't want it to die (meaning no one posts). These two things alone will make a forum more cozy and welcome. It might seem professional and lame, but with so many people who join the server, it will get crowded in here if you make the forum sound fun (which is what forums are and should be). Thanks.

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

Thelilhoser
Oh, and give members a tag by there name saying "Mag Member, Ice VIP, ex." That get's to be a bit of work, but it's legit.

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

Thelilhoser
And if possible, make it so you can edit your own posts...so there's no double posting...err, triple posting for that matter. Also crack down on any of those "First" people. Those are annoying. Ban them all.

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

MoseThis
Good points, but in some ways if there is too much emphasis on the forums, people won't be ingame as much. Although i don't see that happening here, minecraft is still a very young game (technically it's not even out yet, lol!). But yeah, over time if there isn't say, sub-forums for stuff you suggested, it will get a bit crowded, even if it's administrated well.

Also, you can edit your own posts (I edited this one to add this on, lol). Look for "more" on the upper right hand corner of the post.

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

Stokie1996
The only thing that needs to be cut down on are things about something temporary like a griefer report, once the griefer gets banned the post should be removed :)

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

qwertyupo
I agree that the forum does need some organization, but not as major as you suggest. Like stokie said we need to delete the temporary posts maybe an idea to manage this is that you can put posts up for a certain amount of time. so when you post you can specify the date for its deletion. Their should also be topics for posts to be categorized in such as Tutorials and like we already have a build log section, and team sections for team related stuff for both Mag and Ice. but like it has been stated above, much of the communication is held in game and the Forum should not be more like a chat room. that is what the meebo thing is for if the server is down and what the chat function is for in Minecraft SMP.
MAG VIP
Official Terrace Bay Builder

Who else remembers when Yola was Synthasite

qwertyupo.yolasite.com (on its way, Under construction)

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

sycoinc
I believe a while back pwego mentioned he was wanting to remake the website, maybe once this gets done a new forum can be setup... i would suggest phpbb3 its a good open source very customizable forum... bit annoying to set up though

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

marsman1224
I agree with everything qwerty said but...
There should be a number of set categories of posts (i.e. griefer reports, complaints, suggestions, new projects)
That way people can find things more easily and griefer reports will be quicker to be dealt with (word fail)
Yes, I am really from Mars.

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

ImJoeNemesis
Organizing isnt this servers strong suite :P But I do like the idea. The tags would take... Days
Swag/Pro

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

I haven't seen any option on this forum application to display the member groups...

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

qwertyupo
Thats why there are tags and you just make the groups in the forums settings and do that so people can be sorted out by group
MAG VIP
Official Terrace Bay Builder

Who else remembers when Yola was Synthasite

qwertyupo.yolasite.com (on its way, Under construction)

Re: A Few Forum Suggestions

marsman1224
I don't see why its necessary to have these groups.  Yes, maybe people will listen more if they are higher rank, but that really only goes to people like Zach, lakers, and pwego and other high staffs and everybody knows them already.
Yes, I am really from Mars.